Today, October 22, 2015 is National Nut Day!
I thought it was fitting for me to post on a day that’s not only specifically relevant to Vegans, who require non-meat and non-dairy sources of iron and protein, but also to health enthusiasts who care about what they put into their bodies.
So whatever your reasons, today is the day to simply, go nuts!
What is so special about nuts?
Well, there is a plethora of health benefits that have been associated with nuts/seeds and has been proven to provide long-lasting health prosperity.
Here are just a few of the benefits and examples you can expect to crack open (hee hee):
- High in iron (most nuts)
- Immune system booster (peanuts, pine nuts, pecans)
- High in protein (most nuts, chia seeds)
- Improved eye and nerve health (pine nuts)
- Stress reliever (chestnuts)
- Heart healthy (macadamia nuts, pecans, chia seeds, pine nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts)
- Good source of Selenium, an antioxidant linked to reduced cancer risks (Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds)
- Cholesterol lowering affects (pecans, walnuts)
- Weight-loss/Appetite Control (almonds, pine nuts, coconuts, chestnuts)
- Testosterone booster (pumpkin seeds – – okay fellas!)
- Bone health (chia seeds, almonds, pine nuts, cashews)
- Depression diminisher (Brazil nuts, walnuts)
- Mood enhancer (Brazil nuts)
- Artery declogger (sesame seeds)
- Good genital blood-flow (pistachios aka no-brainer)
- Improvement on critical thinking (walnuts, almonds)
- Blood pressure regulator (almonds)
- Energy booster (almonds, peanuts, pecans, sunflower seeds)
- Cancer fighting (hazelnuts, coconut, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, flaxseeds)
- Bowel/Digestive health (chestnuts, cashews)
- Healthy skin (coconut, pecans, almonds)
- Memory booster (almonds, chestnuts)
- Lowers Gallstone risks (cashews)
- Lowers Diabetes risks (macadamia nuts, walnuts)
- Reduces Alzheimer’s risks (walnuts)
That is just a few of the many health benefits nuts provide. They are chock-full of vitamins and minerals.
Not only can these little jewels be enjoyed as a snack or meal replacement, many are now being offered in liquid form as a dairy replacement. I personally adore cashew milk and almond milk.
Now that I’ve secured my job as Nut Ambassador, show someone you love them by creating a healthy snack they can grab at their work desk instead of heading to the vending machine, keep by their side when they’re in their college dorm room studying for an exam, or in the kitchen next to the cookie jar so they can second guess their snack choices.
This one was created for my hubby to keep on his desk at work. I bought a huge Mason jar, several kinds of nuts/seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips (another antioxidant).
I carefully portioned the nuts/seeds and fruit out to avoid over snacking (about 1 to 1 ½ oz. servings). I separated each portion with opened cupcake liners and included a special handwritten note that he could see upon finishing each portion. I used special dates and love notes for mine, but feel free to write affirmations, words of wisdom or encouragement, famous quotes, etc. for your special someone. I also tagged it with a gift tag attached with coordinating raffia ribbon. The front of the tag has a special message, while the back shows the individual ingredients.
Not only will this brighten someone’s day over and over again, it provides him or her with a cool, keepsake Mason jar.